We all know that having black mold in your home is bad for your family’s health. Still, you might not be aware of just how harmful it can be. Let’s discuss the dangers of black mold, how to tell if you have black mold growing, and what to do about it.
According to Prevention, black mold is particularly dangerous because it produces toxins. In fact, the toxins produced by black mold are “potent enough to cause serious problems in healthy people,” the magazine reports. Researchers are still trying to determine whether or not black mold emits enough poison to cause major illness, but it’s certainly a scary prospect.
The most common symptoms of black mold include frequent coughing and sneezing, eye irritation, rashes and headaches. In cases of prolonged exposure, the health effects of black mold can be much more severe. “Often compounded by allergic reaction to the black mold spores, these symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, and bleeding in the lungs and nose,” warns HGTV.
Black mold can also cause infection in people with weakened immune systems, advises Livestrong. Inhaling large quantities of black mold can lead to a lung infection called “aspergillosis.” Symptoms include higher-than-normal temperature, coughing up blood and heavy breathing.
Perhaps the scariest thing about black mold is that it could be growing in your home right now. Jeffrey C. May, author of “My House Is Killing Me: The Home Guide for Families with Allergies and Asthma,” told the New York Times that mold can be found everywhere, but that “one particularly troublesome hiding place is inside the ductwork and associated components of central forced-air heating and air-conditioning systems.”
However, mold in your home’s duct work can be treated. EnviroGreen Boston’s technicians can identify, agitate and remove mold. We recommend the use of an all-natural, botanical-based, anti-microbial treatment approved by the EPA for mold remediation within the duct work.