If there’s one thing you don’t want to have in your home — it’s mold. Not only does it smell and ruin everything it touches, but it can also lower your indoor air quality and have negative effects on your health. That’s why you need to do everything in your power to keep mold from growing in your home.
- Keep Things Dry – Mold needs moisture and a time span of 48 hours in order to begin growing. If you can control the moisture level in your home, then you can prevent mold from ever even developing in the first place. Be sure that your home has no leaky pipes or fixtures and to clean any standing water throughout the house.
- Ventilate – Simple household tasks such as doing laundry, cooking, and taking a shower can lead to eventual mold growth. Whether you’re cooking on the stovetop or taking a shower, make sure the proper exhaust fan is turned on to remove any steam and moisture from the room. Also make sure that your exhaust fans and dryer are properly vented to the outside.
- Humidity Level – The average home’s humidity level should be anywhere from 30 to 50 percent. Anything higher than 50 percent will result in condensation on your home’s surfaces which can promote mold growth. Make sure all of your windows and doors are sealed and utilize a dehumidifier.
- Gutter System – Having a damaged gutter system can lead to water pooling around the foundation of your home, resulting in flooding of your basement or crawl space. If your gutter system isn’t damaged, then make sure it is cleaned with no blockages. Clogged gutters can become filled with water, causing roof leaks that lead to water damage, rot, and mold growth.
- Clean Air Ducts – A home with a consistently high humidity level will result in mold growing in your HVAC system’s ductwork. Mold on the surface of your air ducts will affect all of the air that passes through, thus lowering the indoor air quality greatly. Lower the humidity level and have your air ducts professionally cleaned of any mold and dust.
If you were to make a list of all of the things you shouldn’t have in your home, mold would be at the top. When you need mold and dust removed from your home’s air ducts, contact EnviroGreen Boston. To learn more, or to schedule a free estimate, give us a call at (844) 775-7700.